What to do if my son was bitten by a dog?

We’re working with insurance company. If they value claim above $15,000 Trust must be created for child and if less than $15,000 they just cut us a check. If it is over $15,000 can most of the money be put into the Trust and part of the money be given to us to cover our losses?

Asked on March 10, 2015 under Personal Injury, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It depends on the parameters of the insurance adjuster.  In other words, can the adjuster legally settle the claim as two separate claims: one for your son's injury and one for your loss of income for medical expenses (I am assuming here).  Often if a suit is brought the funds can be charachterized differently becuase you would be suing on behalf of your child and yourself.  The question is if the adjuster has the authority to do so.  You may have to go up the chain to find out.  Ask him or her.  Then you can plan accordingly and not worry about the parameters so much as getting your son the compensation he deserves for his injury.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.