Can you end a lease due to a medical condition?

My son was attending school and suffered a head injury and seizures. He had to move home and I need to care for him. Is he still liable on his lease agreement?

Asked on June 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, he may be. What you need to do first is to get a copy of his lease agreement and read it.  Then you need to decide your options: asking the landlod to break the lease (in writing of course) due to the situation. See if you can sublet or re rent legally.  Is he incompetant?  That may be a concern and an issue.  I would seek help from an attorney as soon as you can.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.