What to do if my son had an accident because he was a crime victim and trying to flea the scene?

A man pointed a gun at my son and demanded his money and my son floored the gas and took off down an alley. The gunman fired at him and missed. My kid hit another car at the end of the alley who actually turned into the alley the wrong way. While my son was giving his police report, low and behold, a towtruck was on the scene in minutes. My son was shaking from the incident but the cop insisted on him getting his car towed. My son was not in his right mind and signed the towtruck’s document, and he even told him to have the insurance company call them. The towtruck company refuses to let the insurance company in to inspect the car until it is paid for, so the car just sits in storage. What legal recourse do we have?

Asked on February 16, 2013 under Accident Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that your son deal directly with the claims representative for his insitrance carrier and have the carrier hire an attorney to get access to the damaged vehicle so that his claim can be processed in an expedient manner. That is why he has insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.