If my son violated probation my getting another charge and now he’s stopped going to probation and has not paid his fine, what happens now?

Asked on January 13, 2013 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In short your son based upon the facts of your question is getting himself in worse trouble than he was before. By not complying with the probation order for the prior crime that he was convicted of he faces a new criminal action against him for violating his probation order on two counts. First, by getting charged with a second crime and second, by not keeping contact with his probation officer.

If found guilty, the suspended sentence from the prior crime will be imposed upon him. I suggest that he immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney to do some sort of damage control as to his current situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.