What to do if my son took a plea deal for a burglary charge but the only thing on his record was a seatblet ticket yet they gave him the maximum sentence of 5-7 years?

Is there anyway he can get back in court to appeal?

Asked on February 5, 2013 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Given the general question that you have written about concerning an unfortunate incident that your son was involved in I suggest that he consult with a criminal defense attorney with experience in appeals to discuss his matter and see what legal options if any he may have. Appealing a plea deal ordinarily is a difficult thing to do unless the defendant did not undertand what he or she was agreeing to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.