What to do if my son thought he was the father of his girlfriend’s child but then we had a paternity test done and e is not the father although he did sign the birth certificate?

Now she wants child support, but does not want to go through the legal system. What can he do to make sure he does not have to pay support.

Asked on November 11, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you son has been determined by DNA testing to not be the father of the child that you are writing about then under the laws of all states in this country he is not legally obligated to pay child support. I suggest that he consult with a family law attorney to guide him further as to the issue of your question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.