If my son stole my checks and his girlfriend forged them, can I prosecute her without filing a complaint against him?

He uttered them. A local deputy refuses to take the complaint.

Asked on September 13, 2014 under Criminal Law, West Virginia


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can not prosecute anyone.  You are not a prosecutor.  You can file a complaint that your checks were forged, but it is up to police and prosecutors whether they choose to pursue it, and whom they decide to proceed against. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.