If my son has had a mental breakdown and was arrested, where can I find help for him?

Last weekend my son was exhibiting signs of mental illness. He was saying delusional things and was very paranoid. This was witnessed by his brother and others in Dallas. He lives in Huntsville TX where he is a full-time student in graduate school. He refused to let anyone take him to a hospital and proceeded to drive back to school. On the way there, he was driving irratically and evaded the police, this is very unlike him. He was arrested and charged with evading with a motor vehicle. Brandon is a brilliant young man and not in any trouble with the law. At this time I am unable to get much information. As he is an adult but I don’t think he has an attorney, and he has been very unresponsive to people around him. His bloodwork came back clean; no drugs or alcohol. We do not have the money to bail him out or to hire a lawyer, so he needs a public defender, but in his state of mind he apparently doesnt realize this. I am hoping to get the charges dropped against him, as he was obviously not in his right mind, but I am looking for any resources I can to help him. We are very concerned about his civil rights. I have not been able to be in touch with him as I was misinformed on visitation rules, and the next visitation time is Saturday night. Any help I can get would be appreciated.

Asked on December 2, 2010 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  Is it possible that yo can travel to where he is incarcerated and speak with the public defenders office about his case and his mental case?  Once he is assigned an attorney they can possibly request that he be evaluated for his mental condition.  Tell them that he seems not himself and that you are worried about his mental state and his ability to help prepare his defense in this trial.  You really need to push things there and be a pain in their necks in order to get the results you want for your son.  Make a ot of respectful "noise" and plead  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.