If I’m paying support shouldn’t I get visitation rights?

Asked on July 23, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, child support and visitation are not related. Consequently, if you are denied visitation you must still continue to make your support payments. What you need to do is to set up a formal visitation schedule through the court. If one already exists but your child's other parent is in violation, again this is a matter for the courts. An order that the schedule be enforced will be issued and if your child's other parent still persists in keeping you from your child, they can be held in contempt. This could result in your visitation time being increased and custody could possibly be affected as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.