If my son’s father died about a 1 1/2 years ago, how do we make a claim on his estate?

We have proof of paternity but were never married. There is a large estate but my son was not left in the Will that was made the year my son was born. Should we contest the estate?

Asked on October 14, 2014 under Estate Planning, Indiana


Christine Socrates / Christine Sabio Socrates, Atty at Law

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you son was not specifically disinherited, you should definetly retain an attorney to make a claim on his father's estate and start this process as soon as possible. 

M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for his loss.  Yes, absolutely consider making a claim on his estate.  The issue becomes notice of the time to do so.  Please consult with an attorney on this matter as soon as you can.  It would be a shame for him to be precluded from collecting his inheritance.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.