My son’s ex just had a baby. They are both minors. She is saying he can’t have a visit with the baby in our home only at their home what can he do

he would like joint physical custody of his daughter. But right now wants visits till he gets it into court. How can we do that.

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Family Law, Iowa


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

if he plans to bring this to court he should do so as quickly as possible to get the ball rolling. In addition until than I would advise he comply with the mothers wishes and visit the child at her home. Although it may seem unfair the court will appreciate his cooperative attitude and it will earn him some points

You also may want to look into getting yourself a local attorney to help handle this matter for you. They will be able to file the right paperwork and may even be able to get him visitation rights now in the interim

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.