What to do if my son’s ex-girlfriend is making it very difficult for my son to see his son?

And that in turn, makes it difficult for me, the grandmother, to see him as well. Do I have any rights? Can I seek visitation?

Asked on January 18, 2013 under Family Law, Minnesota


Matthew Majeski / Majeski Law, LLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can seek visitation through third party custody statutes as mentioned.  An easier route, however, may be to get yoru son to either establish or enforce his custody rights, depending on the situation.  In Minnesota, parents generally stand in much more powerful ground to seek out custody and parenting time.

Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hello.  Grandparents’ rights are governed by Minnesota Statutes §257C.08 and §518.1752.  Additional statutes and regulations and legal opinions may apply to your specific circumstances.  What is the best interests of the child is always paramount in the law.  It certainly seems advisable that you confer with a family law attorney about the specifics to your situation.  If I were to assist you, I would discuss the matter with you in great depth.  I recommend you phone several Minnesota attorneys working in the field of family law in choosing an attorney to help you, because it is very important that you feel a sense of great trust with the attorney you choose to help you.  Often family law problems are complex in nature and there is much to discuss to discern what is the best path of action.  All the best to you and your family.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.