If my son rented the lower level of a home but while he was out of town it burned to the ground, is he entitled to coverage under the homeowner’s insurance?

My son had renter’s insurance.

Asked on January 8, 2013 under Real Estate Law, New Mexico


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In all likelihood the landlord's insurance policy will not cover any loss of your son as a renter. Since your son has his own policy of insurance (renter's insurance) his policy assuming there are no exclusions for what transpired should cover him for his loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.