What to do if my son just turned 18 yesterday and his mother is suing me for more child support claiming my son is disabled?

Can I ask the judge for an evaluation from my own doctor to diagnosis my son. He is not disabled, she is just doing this so she doesn’t have to work. He is on you tube rapping.

Asked on November 7, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Make sure you take a copy of the youtube video. In most jurisdictions, once he is 18, you are no longer required to support him and further, if he were truly disabled, this should have been brought to the court's attention to amend the order prior to him reaching the age of majority. Your affirmative defense will have to be more than just the rapping video. If you have copies of his facebook posts and past grades, those would prove helpful.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.