If my son it about to come into money and they are talking about putting it in a trust fund until is 18 birthday, is there anyway that I can either stop that or open it to take care of him?

Asked on January 24, 2013 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

One way to take care of the money that your minor son is to get until he is 18 years of age is to discuss the matter with him and other family matters as to what would be best for your son. Since the matter seems to be a personal injury matter where the son will be getting the money, under the laws of all states in this country the money must be placed in a blocked account for him. You can file a response with the court seeking what you want to do and let the court make the decision.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.