If my son is getting a divorce, can his wife move their children to another state without his consent?

There are 3 small children involved. She texted me today and said that she is moving with the kids next weekend out of state. She has a temporary order of sole custody at this time. There is also a DVO on my son. I am the go between for the visitations.

Asked on November 13, 2015 under Family Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless there is a court order preventing her from doing this, an adult who has custody of her children may move with them, even to another state. That said, your son may be able to get a court order preventing her from doing this. Your son should speak with a family law attorney *immediately* about going to court on an "emergent" (think: "urgent" or "emergency") basis to get a court order preventing his wife from taking their children out of state and so far away from him. It is not guaranteed he'll get such an order, but he may be able to--it's certainly worth trying.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.