How do we proceed if my son is being sued for hitting someone while his insurance lapsed?

My son is 21 years old. The police were called but he never received a copy of the police report. He states that the pedestrian walked in front of his car while he was parking. Do you have any advice? Do I need to retain a lawyer? I’m very afraid.

Asked on July 1, 2017 under Accident Law, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

An attorney should be retained to represent your son. If the insurance had not lapsed, the auto insurance company would have provided your son with an attorney at no cost to you.
If the lawsuit results in a monetary judgment against your son, it will then be advisable for him to file bankruptcy. 
Chapter 7 bankruptcy will eliminate that debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.