What should we do if my son is a college student and received an MIP?

A car he was a passenger in was pulled over for rolling a stop sign. They had been drinking at some point prior to being in the car but there was no alcohol in the car and the officer did not give a breathalyzer to anyone. However the officer did give everyone in the car an MIP. What should my son do on his court date?

Asked on December 1, 2015 under Criminal Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

GA has minor in possession (MIP) laws to prevent anyone under the age of 21 to consume or possess alcoholic beverages.
A conviction for MIP can remain on your son's criminal record for the rest of his life.  Additionally, any drug or alcohol related offense can affect his ability to apply for college, student loans and financial aid and future employment. The charge can also carry severe penalties; for a 1st offense it can include a fine of up to $300, 6 months in jail and a driver’s license suspension for 6 months.
That all having been said, an experienced attorney can possibly get the charge thrown out or at least negotiate for a lesser charge.
At this point, it would be advisable to consult with one directly regarding your son's case. Frankly, he has a lot at stake here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.