Can my son’s mother prevent me from seeing him or do I have legal rights to see him without a visitation order if I’ve established paternity and am currently paying child support?

My son is 4 almost 5 years old.

Asked on July 20, 2014 under Family Law, Indiana


Maury Beaulier /

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You must check with a lawyer in your state.  In many instances, if there is no order establishing custody and parenting time, you would have no enforceable rights.  You must commence an action to establish custody and parenting time. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.