If my son is 18 and was arrested for under aged drinking, public intoxication and disorderly conduct, what kind of fine/time is he looking at?

My son is 18 and was arrested for under aged drinking,public intoxication and disorderly conduct in pa. this is his first offense ever for a drinking offense. What kind of fines or time is he looking forward to? He got 3 citations. He has to plead to them. He has Aspergers syndrome with intermittent explosive disorder and is on SSI for being legally disabled. What do I do? I can’t afford to hire an attorney in full.

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


Andrew Goldberg

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Disorderly conduct is a summary offense and the max. fine is $300. It is the equivalent of a traffic ticket. As to the "Underage Drinking", do not ( !!!) plead guilty as there is a 6 month license suspension. Rather, go the Preliminary Hearing and ask the District Judge to put your son in the diversionary program. It is automatic for first time underage dinking arrests. I your son successfully complets the diversionary program  (i.e.,  community service and/or classes), there is no criminal conviction and no license suspension.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.