Is it legal a teacher who is not actually doing training to force your child to participate in an activity that could seriously cause them damage?

My son has to take weight lifting in school. The trainers are students who have taken the class before, not the teacher. In other words, there is no proper supervision. He’s been complaining about his knees and that the trainers are pushing everyone too hard. I sent a note once asking he be excused for the day and the teacher made him participate anyway. And what do I do? We sent another note today.

Asked on November 6, 2014 under Personal Injury, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If your son suffers any injury due to improper training or supervision, the teacher, the school, and the district could be liable. However, that is not the preferred outcome--you don't want your son to suffer injury but then have the possibility of compensation. You should probably get a doctor's note that your son is experiencing knee pain due to the training; if this teacher will not take that seriously, escalate to the principal and even district level if need be, letting them know that if they cause your son injury, you will sue. This may make them re-evaluate the class.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.