If my son has several tickets, what can he do if he can’t pay them?

He has contacted municipal court and they say he owes $3200 and will accept $1600 now and $1600 in a month. He is a single dad and cannot afford that. I don’t know why he kept putting this off. He wants to get these cleared up. He works on an army base and has to have a valid ID and proof of insurance to work there. So he is in jeopardy of loosing his job.

Asked on July 23, 2015 under General Practice, Texas


Gregory Abbott / Consumer Law Northwest

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If he can't work out a payment plan; needs to have them cleared from his record for his job; truly can't afford to pay them; and can't borrow the money or sell something to obtain the money, then he is indeed in a tough spot.  In the end, the above are pretty much his options and the penalties for being a scoff-law.  Perhaps the court will be willing to accept guaranteed payments directly from his paycheck but he is unlikely to be able to force them to accept such an arrangement and in the end, he may have to find a different job.  A local collections attorney might be able to intervene and negotiate for him but again, in the end there are no guarantees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.