My son has a traumatic brain injury and received a Title 13 trust fund from the accident. What do I need to file in order to get access to the money?

I live in Maryland. The funds are in Bank of America account and they told me that I had to get a court order in order to access the funds. His bills have been growing and I really need to get them paid. I have been unemployed most of the time that he has been “recovering”.

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Personal Injury, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to seek legal help here.  You need to start, though, by reading the order of the court.  I am sure that you were appointed as your son's guardian, correct?  That gives you certain rights under the law.  You would not need a court order other than being appointed as the guardian.  I am going to give you a link to information found via an internet search but please, this in no way is a subsitute for legal guidance. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.