If my son got arrested for a DUI and this is his first offense, do you recommend him obtaining a lawyer?

It’s pretty cut and dry of the penalties that will be imposed. So what are the benefits of having a lawyer, if any?

Asked on October 7, 2014 under Criminal Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Absolutely. What you may think is a cut and dried situation may not be. What I would recommned is finding a local attorney who can best utilize their contacts at the court. Possibly they can have the charge reduced. They could even have it thrown out if there was a procedural error made by the police during your son's arrest. At the very least, consult with a lawyer even if you decide not to hire them to take the case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.