If my son got an underage drinking ticket but he will be 500 miles away for the hearing, can he just plead guilty and avoid the trial?

Asked on August 20, 2013 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


Stan Helinski / McKinley Law Group

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Sure---though he needs to be present for his court date.  He needs to make at least one personal appearance to enter the plea--but then he also will need special permission (preferably from the court but if not, from probation), then get his probation transferred, which can be somewhat complex depending on the state.  There is an interstate compact regarding interstate transfers. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.