If my son who is 19 got a DUI, what do we do next?

He is awaiting court date and currently out on bail. Should we speak with a DUI attorney? In San Diego County, CA.

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your son was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance and is presently awaiting a trial date, he should immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney about the circumstances leading to his arrest.

A conviction for the charge presently against your son could have significant negative results for him as to school and employment not to say a heavy fine, possible jail time, loss of driving privileges, increased insurance rates and attending classes about the dangers of drinking alcohol and driving.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.