my sister was named exsecuter of my fathers will. she refuses to split up his lifetime collection of antiques. telling me its in her name so she doesnt have to.What do i do?

My sister has refused to show me my fathers will. and to split up assests

Asked on May 17, 2016 under Estate Planning, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the Will has been entered into probate, then it is now a matter of public record so you, or anyone else, has the right to see it. Additionally, as a child you are what is known as an "interested party", which means that you have the right to see the Will whether or not it has been entered for probate. At this point you can contact the probate court in the county in which your mother was domiciled and/or you can contact a local employment law attorney to enforce your rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.