What to do if my sister feel that she is due an inheritance?

M sister wants me to tell her what she signed at the time of my father’s passing. She has no idea what it is but obviously thinks she is due some inheritance. The fact is, my father willed everything to our mother who survives. No one inherited anything. Am I obliged to tell my sister anything? FYI, the relationship has been extremely strained previously between my sister and us (mom and I). I think she is just trying to cause us hurt. I don’t feel that I need to share any information. Anything I disclose will just cause her to find another reason to be vicious.

Asked on July 15, 2012 under Estate Planning, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation between you and your sister.  The person who has been named as the fiduciary of the estate (the executor) has a responsibility as to named beneficaires and those that would have inherited if there were no Will.  Once a Will is filed, however, it is a public record.  So she can view it at any time.  Give her the file number for the probate court and let her know which court in which it was filed.  She can have a look herself.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.