What to do if my sister, the executor of my parents’ estate, has asked me to sign a document which lists many items for which I “waive my rights”?

She says that this is a formality to close the estate. I have recieved no information as to assets, liabilities, accounts, money, etc. from her. I have received about $9400 with no explanation of any sort. What is going on here? If she is asking me to waive these rights, doesn’t that mean they are my rights? How do I go about getting this information about the estate? The attorney does not return my calls and neither does she.

Asked on November 14, 2012 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, no one should sign a document they don't understand.  If someone is not explaining what is happening, then don't sign the documents.  If they want the documents signed, they will have to explain it to you.

Most states require estate representatives to file a written "accounting" at periodic intervals.  The accounting lists assets, liabilties, etc.  As a beneficiary, you should be entitled to see it and should call the probate court to find out how you get a copy or can see the file.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.