If my sister’s boyfriend moved into our house but has become violent, how do we evict him?

My sister’s boyfriend moved into our house a few years ago but he is not on our rental agreement. We called the police but they said we had to get him evicted. I need to know how to start doing that.

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You have two different ways of dealing with this: one is to go through the process of evicting him with a 30 days notice.  Serving him properly is important.  If he does not leave after 30 days then you have to serve him with eviction paperwork.  Also can be an issue if done improperly.  But if he is truly violent and you and your sister fear for your safety then why not get a protection order?  I would speak with an attorney here.   Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.