If my sister passed away without any Will and had no other living family, how can I inherit her assets?

She has no kids and her husband has expired before her.

Asked on July 13, 2015 under Estate Planning, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If a person dies without a Will (i.e. "intestate"), the probate court appoints a personal representative to be appointed as administrator. The court will distribute the estate according to the state laws that determine who is entitled to estate property under the rules of inheritance (i.e. "intestacy" or "succession" statutes).

For more information, here is a link to a site that you will find to be of help:


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.