How to get an Administrator to make a full accounting of estate finances?

My sister is the Administrator of a our family estate, which we are selling. We have been selling parcels of land. The last parcel of land we sold concluded the number of parcels we were selling. My sister distributed the money from the sale but never provided a detailed accounting of price, including attorney’s and auctioneer’s fees. She briefly stated in her very unprofessional letter that we were all to receive “X” amount of dollars and included a check. I have the impression that she included in the legal fees her trips (airfare, hotel, fancy dinners) to Europe. She is legally entitled to one trip but she took 4. How should I proceed?

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Estate Planning, New York


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

As a beneficary, you can petiton the court to order a proper accounting and paymentof your attorney fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.