If my sister has just found out that her husband has been cheating on her, can she bring their 3 month old baby to my house in another state?

Can she do this without having any legal issues in her home state? Her husband has said that if she leaves he’ll call the police and have a kidnapping charge brought against her. Is this possible if he knows that she is leaving?

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Family Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country if your sister is fearful for her and her child's safety with respect to her husband she has every right to go to a place where she is safe. I suggest that your sister be ready to make a move to your location and that she consult with a family law attorney in your locality before she makes the transition.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.