What to do if my sister had my elderly mother write in her Trust that a portion of what I am to receive should be deducted due to a debt I owed but has since been paid?

I have paid double the amount I owed, as I was unable to find the written note from my mother which honored my debt. My vindictive sister added 10 years of debt, doubling the original amount. I have since then found the note my mother wrote.

Asked on July 7, 2014 under Estate Planning, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the issue that you are having.  You may need to speak with a lawyer in your area on the matter. If your sister unduly influenced your Mother to change the Trust document when she was infirm in any way - mentally or physically - then you may be able to have it set aside.  But there are time limitations if Mom has passed to object to things and I fear that you may have passed the time to do anything. There are other issues with authentication of the note from your Mother and admissibility, etc.  Please go and speak with some one.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.