If my roommate is an occupant on the lease and left without paying, can I sue her since she signed the lease?

I felt bad for my friend and her baby and I agreed to get a 2 bedroom apartment together. She had bad credit so apartment manager put her as an occupant on the lease. Few months later we had huge argument because her boyfriend was living there and not paying. She found new roommate to take over and I moved. Then I found out she left and didn’t pay the rent and they were going to sent me to collections so I had to pay that rent. Is there a way I can take her to court for that?

Asked on March 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have an agreement with your former roommate where she was to help pay on a lease for a rental and she failed to do so as you have written where you ended up paying the landlord that was due, you have a factual and legal basis for payment from her. You either had an oral agreement or an implied in fact agreement for her to pay rent which she did not.

I suggest that you consider filing a small claims court action against your former roommate for the money that you paid on her behalf.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.