My roommate started using illegal substances in our apartment we both co-signed on, what rights do i have to leave this situation.

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a Missouri lawyer, and there are differences between the states on how something like this might be handled.  You should have your lease, and the unique facts of this difficult situation, reviewed by an attorney as soon as possible, and before you do or say anything more to anyone about this.

Don't put this off.  It isn't just the lease that you have to be worried about;  if your roommate manages to attract the attention of the police and they get a warrant to search the apartment, you could be charged along with him for whatever they find.  You might ultimately be able to get out of that end of it, but not without a lot of time and expense -- not to mention worry -- in the meantime.  One place to find a lawyer who can give you reliable advice is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.