What to do if my roommate refuses to pay his rent?

I moved in with my roommate and signed the lease at the same time and the landlord told us that he did not care where and who gave him the money; only that it was paid for. My roommate has not paid rent or utilities and the landlord is pressuring me and him for the money and says we will both get evicted from the apt. if he doesn’t get the money. I have repeatedly asked my roommate for money with no luck. He has two jobs so I know he has money. Is there anything I can do to resolve this without me getting evicted as well?

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written lease with your landlord for the rental that you have with your roommate, you need to carefully read it in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you by the landlord, you to him and you and your roommate to each other in the absence of conflicting state law. Under the law of your state, your roommate has an implied in fact agreement with you to pay his share of the monthly costs for the rental that you have with your landlord.

Your option if you do not want to get evicted from the premises is to have your roommate pay his share of the monthly rent to the landlord, you need to do so and then ask your roommate to reimburse you for what you paid for him.

If he fails to do so, then your option is to sue him in small claims court and begin thinking about getting another roommate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.