If my roommate moved out of our rental house without any notice and after only 1 month of our 12 month lease, can I sue him for his share of the rent?

Asked on November 1, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your departing roommate won't cover the rent until a substitute tenant is found, then if they remain locally and have a job, you can sue them in small claims court and get a judgement for unpaid rent, any damage to the rental unit, unpaid utilities and your costs to find a replacement roommate (advertising, etc.). If your ex-roommate still doesn't pay up, you can collect on the judgment from their attaching thier bank account or garnishing their wages.
If your roommate has moved out-of-state, you may want to just forget suing, since trying to track them down, sue him and then collect on the judgment is likely to be more trouble than it's worth.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.