If my roommate old me that she can no longer pay rent and that she is filing bankruptcy. am I now responsible for the entire rent?

The roommate is on the lease. We still have 3 months left on the lease. She cannot afford to break the lease. Can I take her to small claims court for her half of the rent?

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you end up paying for the entire rent of the unit you have because your other roommate is no longer paying her share, then you can pay the entire amount due the landlord and then sue the roommate for her half that you have paid in small claims court. The problem is that if she files for bankruptcy protection then you are "stayed" from bringing any action in state court against her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.