Can I get out of my lease if my roommate is underage drinking and smoking marijuana?

This bothers me a lot. The lease (by room) has a illegal activity/knowledge of illegal activity clause. Can this help me get out of the lease, if possible, without getting her in trouble with the police?

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, this will not let you get out of the lease. The lease is a contract between you and your landlord; your roommate's illegal activities do not effect the contractual obligations between your landlord and you, including your obligation to pay rent for the entire term of the lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.