If my roommate is separated from her husband and has let him into our home but now he refuses to leave, do I have the right as leaseholder to make him go?

I am a leaseholder, and so is his wife. She has let him visit and on some occasions spend the night. He refused to leave this morning, and claimed that since his wife is a leaseholder, he also has the same rights as her spouse. Is this true, or as the co-leaseholder do my wishes take precedence? I don’t want to involve the landlord but would like to know if the police will back up my request if called?

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have what is called in the rental industry a "roommate agreement" setting forth the terms and conditions of the rental agreement that you share with your roommate, you unfortunately have no legal rights per se to force the separated husband to vacate the premises you share if your roommate has allowed him to visit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.