My roommate is moving out and my landlord whats to change the lease to now included whatever the current/legal rent is?

I am currently living in a rent stabilized apartment. My roommate and I are both currently on the lease. She is moving out and I now need to get a new roommate. Can be taken off the lease and I completely take over the lease without any changes to original agreement? If I have the new roommate on the lease will the change the term of the agreement? Also my landlord wants to change the agreement to include something about what the legal rent should be. He says I will continue to pay my same rent, but it is just a protection for him to be able to raise the rent later. What does this mean?

Asked on July 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are in a rent stabilized apartment where the landlord now wants to place you solely on the lease for the premises after your roommate moves out, I suggest that before you sign any document reflecting the proposed new terms that you go down to the entity in charge of rent stabilization of rentals in your community to make sure that the proposals by your landlord comply with current code in effect in the community where you live.

After such is done, you should consult further with a landlord tenant attorney about the proposed new lease that your landlord provided you before signing it.

I disagree about signing any document that your landlord wants you to sign other than what the agreed monthly rent will actually be and paid by you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.