If my restaurant job requires me to carry my own “cash bank” to provide customers with change, is this legal?

I’m required to go to my ATM each night, withdrawl $50-$100 and carry it around to give customers change. Keep in mind this is change for the house’s money, not mine. If a customer orders a hamburger for $11.30, I’m supposed to give them $7.70 from my own cash. The biggest problem is that we never have enough coin change so were constantly having to round up to the next dollar. This is resulting in me losing $5-$10 a shift in change. Over a week that can we much as $50-$60. I can’t imagine that’s legal. I’m not an owner or a partner in the company, so why am I finacially responsible?

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You *can* be required to provide your own change--an employer is free to set its own terms and conditions for employment, including that employees provide their own change for customers. If you have to round up, and so lose money, that is your own responsibility in this case--knowing of the requirement to provide you own change, you can be expected (and should) make sure you have enough coins. (You can go to the bank one day for example, and get $100 in coins.) If  you fail to do this, knowing that having and making change is part of your job, you bear the consequences thereof. If you are not willing to work under those conditions, your recourese is to seek other employment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.