Whatt o do if my rental car got impunded by the police and now all of my personal belonings that were in it are missing?

My rental car got impunded by the police and there was a inventory done of all my personal belonings in the car. However, the rental company is saying that when they picked up the car from the tow yard there was nothing inside of it. How do I find out where my stuff is?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under General Practice, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Contact the agency that impounded the car.  Some have procedures where the car is stored at a lot, but any personal belongings are stored at a facility.  If your car is completely empty, but the inventory sheet documents there were items in the car, they are probably in a storage unit.  If you don't pick them up in a certain amount of time, they may deem them abandoned property.... so if you still want the items, just follow the paper trail until you find your items. 

If the agency that impounded the car says that they left everything in the car, you may need to be filing a theft complaint with them... since your stuff obviously went somewhere that it should not have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.