What can I do if my regional VP (a female) has been telling co-workers at after hours at work functions, that I have slept with several employees?

This not true; I’m happily married. This is not the first time that I’ve heard this repeated to me. I’m not sure what options I have but I’m only a manager and don’t have a lot of leg to stand on. I fear she is tarnishing my hard work and good name.

Asked on November 17, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue her for defamation: for making untrue statements of fact which damage your reputation: while people may state their opinions, no matter how negative, or state *true* facts, no matter how harmful, the law imposes liability for spreading false factual statements or assertions. You can also inform HR or more-senior management that you  believe you are being sexually harassed (since a female VP telling sex-based tales about a male employee may well be sexual harassment) and if they don't take some reasonable action about it, you could then potentially sue the company (or file an EEOC complaint) for sexual harassment as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.