What to do about a a company that was working on repairing my credit, that is now threatenng to ruin my credit?

The owner of the company was a family friend who is no longer a friend. We had an argument on facebook in which she threatened to post my credit information online to prove her point. Her husband also threatened to reverse any negative items that had been removed from my credit and have them put back on my report. What steps do I need to take to stop them from doing this and protect myself legally in case they do go forward with the threats?

Asked on November 10, 2012 under General Practice, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There are several things that you need to do... the first is to get a copy of your credit report and dispute any entries that are not accurate.  Keep the copy of the report even if it is accurate so you see any changes that they are threatening to makes in the even they come to fruition.

Your second step is to file a complaint with the Texas Attorney General and the FTC.  This conduct certainly violates the requirements of credit repair organizations.  If there have been other complaints, then one of these agencies is likely to take some measures against the company.  If this is a first time complaint, you have at least started building a record against this company.  The filing of either complaint is free.

Your third step is to consult with a defamation and/or consumer law attorney.  See if they will send a simple demand letter on your behalf-- requesting that they cease and desist these threats.  Often, a lawsuit threat letter will fix the problem.  If they continue with their threats, then you could have several potential suits including a defamation and FCRA suit. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.