Do I need to obtain a work visa as a Canadian in order for me to accept a compensation-based internship in the U.S.?

I have applied for a position in the US as an intern. This position is for current university/college students or students who have graduated in the last 12 months. It is a compensation-based position, I would not be paid a

salary or wage. Instead, the company will provide living accommodations and pay for utilities, transportation to and from the store, money for food, and a flight to and from the location. As well, interns may receive per diem bonuses and other bonuses depending on how things go.

My question is whether or not I would need to obtain a work visa and I am

really hoping you may have an answer to this question.

Asked on June 8, 2017 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you do not have a valid US immigration status that would allow you to work in the US, then you need to apply for and obtain a work visa first in order to be able to accept any employment in the US.  NOt doing so constitutes unauthorized employment and can have consequences to any future attempt to immigrate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.