If I was arrested 3 years ago for public intoxication and spent the night in jail but my case was dismissed, can I get the arrest expunged from my record?

Do I have to get 2 expungements – 1 for the arrest and 1 for the time that I spent in jail? Also, I checked my name on-line and it showed up. If I get expunged will it disappear/not be visible online for the public? That’s the only thing on my record (I don’t even have speeding tickets).

Asked on October 1, 2013 under Criminal Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Since the case against you for public intoxication was dismissed then there is no criminal conviction to be expunged. You may wish to consult with a criminal defense attorney to see about getting your arrest record for the event sealed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.