If my public defender informed me of a plea offer minutes before my appearance sodropped him, what is the best next step?

My trial date is set.

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have a trial date set and you have no criminal defense attorney to represent you now for the trial, you have the option to defend yourself at trial or retain a new criminal defense attorney.

If you do not retain a new criminal defense attorney, you will then need to get started with your preparation for trial. Most likely the court will have a settlement conference set before the trial date to try and resolve the action against you short of trial.

Given the difficulties of representing yourself at trial, I suggest that you consider retaining a criminal defense attorney to represent you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.