If my property is completly surrounded by someone else’s property, is it possible for them to legally cut off access to my home?

Asked on October 16, 2011 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have had access to your proeprty in the past, then most likely there is an easement of record allowing access to your landlocked parcel. If not, then perhaps there has arisen a prescriptive easement for access to your parcel or as a matter of law an implied easement has arisen for access purposes.

Most likely access to your parcel cannot be legally cut off by your neighbor. If this has happened you need to order a preliminary report concerning your parcel and the neighbor's parcel to ascertain if there is an easement of record allowing access to your parcel.

Additionally, you should consult with an experienced real estate attorney who does easement work about this situation.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.